Welcome to Chapters! This is a book blog for young adults - and the young at heart! If you have a young adult book you would like me to read and review, feel free to email me here!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Zan who? Zan-Gah!

   "She began to move warily in a circle as the men tightened the trap, and as they got closer the lioness began to stride and prowl in a circle so small that she almost seemed to be chasing her tail. But she was watching, watching while she turned and snarled, for a weakness in the ever-tightening ring of her pursuers. Then, at the moment the attack finally was sounded--when the men, putting down their drums and torches, charged on the run with their spears--the lioness saw what she was looking for. One of her enemies was smaller, weaker than the rest. There was a point in the strengthening line that could be broken! Thought merged with furious action and the beast, with a mighty bound of astonishing swiftness, darted toward Zan. Five hundred pounds of snarling fury sprang directly at him with claws bared and fanged mouth open!" 

   This paragraph, printed on the back of the book, is what enticed me to read Zan Gah by Allan R. Shickman. Who wouldn't want to know what happens next after reading that thrilling paragraph? The passage on the back is taken directly from the story, and doesn't really give anything away. You know how sometimes when you read the back of a book, it ruins the best part in the story? Well that's not the case for Zan Gah! :)
   I absolutely LOVED this book. The author really did a great job of capturing the attention of his readers. I don't think I was bored for a single moment while reading it! It tells the story of a teenager, Zan, growing up in the prehistoric era. I, for one, wouldn't stand a chance living in those times. The women had chores that men wouldn't even dream of doing, they didn't have comfortable beds, and were constantly on the brink of war! It was really just an constant stuggle for survival.  Zan transforms from boy to man in this book, all while encountering new, exciting, and at times dangerous situations. It's truly a great book for any age. Thanks for writing it, Allan!

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE your review! Yes, I'm a bit biased but even so! I'm so glad you enjoyed this unusual book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice review, although, I think I am a bit over the hill for this type of reading. I like cozy little mysteries or light romance. However, I do enjoy a good story about animals.

    Hop on over to my blog, there is an award waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Likewise, I've also got an award waiting for you here: http://thegrammariansreviews.blogspot.com/2010/08/versatile-blogger-award.html.

    I'm passing along the Versatile Blogger Award to your blog. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you enjoyed this book because I did too! And welcome to the book blogging world! It is so nice to know you! I am a follower of Suko's blog and from now on your too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting book! I would never have made it in pre-historic times either - I don't like to get my hands dirty. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. My daughter and I read this one and we liked it too. It was really interesting.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete